Here are some aspects of why puzzles are considered useful for improving children’s skills and memory, and also how it benefits their growth.
- Hand-Eye Coordination – It develops a relationship between what their eyes see, their hands do and their brain envisions, in fitting the puzzle accurately.
- Gross Motor Skills – For younger children, large sized puzzles that involve stacking blocks can enhance their gross motor skills (ie – large movements of the body like catching a ball, arranging blocks etc) to the point where they could work on developing their overall fine motor skills. Solving Puzzles help them to put their minds at work and figure out how to solve problems logically.
- Fine Motor Skills – Similar to hand-eye coordination, small and precise movements like using fingers to get a puzzle piece in exactly the right spot can lead to better handwriting and typing skills for children. This also helps them to achieve perfection in whatever they do.
- Shape recognition – Learning to recognize and sort shapes is an important part of a child’s development. It can help them to understand, and identify each piece of the puzzle before it can be assembled.
- Memory – To help enhance a child’s memory, simple jigsaw puzzles and other puzzle games may help. For example, a child will need to recall the size, shape, and color of various shapes to fit the necessary puzzle blocks to complete the entire activity. Through this, children can remember the shapes or pieces that don’t fit and will use it later on.
- Problem-solving – A puzzle can’t be completed by cheating! Whether the puzzle piece seems to fit or not, a child uses vital thinking skills to solve it. Puzzle solving teaches children to analyze a situation, and apply their minds in order to arrive at a solution to the problem.
- Goal Setting – The primary goal of a child when solving a puzzle will be to construct it quick. Then, the next goal will be to develop a series of strategies by putting familiar shapes or pieces in one pile for future reference.
- Patience – Puzzles requires time to complete the entire structure. Working through puzzles helps a child to practice patience before reaching the end.
If you are looking to develop your child’s skills and memory through fun learning, Sign up for “Sparkling Stars”, the Preschool Program at iSpark – Holistic Happiness.
Check out our website today www.isparkholistic.com.